. . . a family friend (of my parents' generation) gave me some fabric that had belonged to her mother . . . making it grandparent-aged fabric, if you follow me. Among the pieces was a stunning mustard and brown patterned silk that is destined to become a dress, and two biggish pieces of upholstery velvet in a brown and a green. The velvet is that old stuff - beautifully soft, supple and fine, and just perfect for making old-school soft toys . . . so I made me some rabbits:
To say thank you to my family friend, I made her some rabbits for her granddaughters . . .
I'm counting these towards my 2013 resolution of creating stuff that is more technically and creatively challenging because they were an arse to sew. I used Alicia Paulson's Maggie Rabbit pattern but upholstery velvet is significantly more difficult to sew with than felt. If you just look at the stuff, it frays. And it drops little bitties everywhere. The mess was phenominal. It went everywhere, including all over the small humans. If I'm being honest, I have to admit that some of it turned up in Little Brother's nappy, having been through 'the system', so to speak.
All in all, it was a pretty painful project. And it would have been even more painful had I not out-sourced the knitting to my Mum (thanks, Mum). I don't knit. As I think I have said before, knitting involves too much counting. It is maths, thinly disguised as craft. I don't do maths. Ergo, I don't knit.